With a Timely account, you can easily create an event booking questionnaire and ask specific questions to attendees prior to event registration, booking request or ticket purchase. You can create a form with custom fields not only to get to know your audience better, but also to collect more information about their preferences and special requirements. In this post, you will learn how to create an event booking form with custom fields.
1. What Are Custom Fields?
If you use Timely event registration, event ticketing or event booking systems, as a subscription plan or as an add-ons, you may already be familiar with the Custom Fields feature. If not, here’s a brief overview of how it works.
Custom fields are fields you can use to ask questions to your event registrants before they finalize their event registration, booking request, or ticket purchase. These fields were designed to collect additional information from your audience, as well as their acknowledgement or consent regarding registration conditions.
Event booking questionnaires with custom fields can be used for many purposes. For example:
- Collect additional information from your attendees for marketing purposes.
- Collect additional personal information to confirm attendees’ eligibility to the event.
- Ask attendees about their preferences or special requirements, such as food allergies.
- Collect registrants’ acknowledgement and consent about event rules and conditions.
- Offer additional services, such as special assistance for disabled persons.
Once you create custom questions for an event, they will appear on the check out page of that particular event. Let’s now explain how to create a customized event booking questionnaire.
2. How to Create a Custom Event Booking Questionnaire
As mentioned above, the Custom Fields feature is part of Timely event registration, booking request and ticketing products. This means that you need to create the RSVP, booking request or ticket for your event prior to creating an event booking form with customized questions.
Creating an Event RSVP, Booking Request or Ticket
Here is the step by step instructions to create an event RSVP, booking request or ticket:
- Log in to your Timely account.
- In the main menu on the left, click on Events and + Add Events. Alternatively, you can click on + Add Events shortcut on top of your Timely dashboard.
- Create your event by adding the relevant event information. For additional instructions, you can check the post How to Create an Event.
- Next, scroll down until you find the Costs and Tickets section. Select the appropriate ticketing option by following the post How to Set Up Cost and Tickets for your Events.
- After making a selection, follow the steps required to create your ticket type by creating a Ticket Block. Give a name and description to your ticket so your audience understand what is included.
Note: The Custom Fields feature is only available for Event Registration/RSVP, Time Slot Registration/RSVP, and RSVP & Time Slot Booking Requests for free events, and Event Ticket and Time Slot Ticket for paid events.
Creating Custom Fields
After creating a Ticket Block for your ticket, you will be able to see the +Add Field button to create the booking questionnaire with custom fields. Click on that button to create your first custom field.
Currently, there are three custom field types:
- Yes/No answer: requires registrants to mark Yes or No to respond to the question.
- Text answer: requires registrants to answer the question with a sentence.
- Checkbox answer: requires registrants to check the box if the sentence is applicable or to confirm understanding.
You can add as many questions as are available under your subscription plan. Just keep pressing the +Add field button to create new inquiries. The limit number of characters is 2000 and you can add any text you wish.
Once you finish creating your custom fields and setting up your event ticket, check the I agree with all terms box to continue. Next, publish the event so your calendar visitors can see the event booking questionnaire on the checkout page.
Note: Some subscription plans may have a limitation on the number of custom fields available. If you reach your plan’s limit and would like to add more custom fields, please contact us.
Making Fields Optional or Mandatory
If you want to make sure that your registrants respond to the questions before finishing their registration, click the Required checkbox under each custom field created. This will make the answer mandatory. Otherwise, just leave the Required box unchecked.
Adding Links to Custom Fields
If you wish, you can also create an event booking form with a link on the custom field. You can use this feature to add any hyperlink you want. For instance, you can use the checkbox option with a link to your Terms and Conditions and ask registrants to confirm acknowledgement or acceptance to your terms.
To add a link to a custom field, follow the steps below:
- Click the +Add field button to create a new field
- Add the applicable intro text (i.e. "I agree to the", "I consent with the", etc.)
- Paste this code on the Custom Field area: <a href="LINK">TEXT</a>
- Replace the LINK text with the hyperlink for the applicable webpage. Make sure you add the new link between the quotation marks.
- Replace the TEXT text with the word or sentence you want to use as anchored text for the hyperlink.
We will use an example to clarify. Let's say you want people who register for your event to review and acknowledge your Refund and Cancellation Policy prior to purchasing the ticket. You can do that by creating an event booking questionnaire with a custom field with the checkbox or the Yes/No answer options. Then, you add the following text and code to the custom field:
I agree to the <a href="https://www.example.com/refund-cancellation-policy/">Refund and Cancellation Policy</a>
By adding the link https://www.example.com/refund-cancellation-policy/ and the text Refund and Cancellation Policy to the code that goes on the custom field, your audience will not see the URL https://www.example.com/refund-cancellation-policy/. Instead, they will only see the text Refund and Cancellation Policy that you added as the anchored text. Moreover, if they click on the anchored text, the applicable webpage will open on their browser as a new tab.
3. How Will Your Audience See the Event Booking Form?
When people visit your online event calendar and click on your event post, they will see a CTA button to RSVP, request to book or purchase a ticket. Once they click on that button, a new page will open on the screen allowing them to select the ticket type and quantity they want to book or purchase.
After making the selection, they will be asked to inform their name and email address, as well as complete your customized event booking questionnaire. If any of the custom questions in the form is set up as mandatory, registrants will not be able to finalize their event registration without answering it.
4. How Can you Retrieve the Audience's Answers to the Custom Questions?
Calendar Administrators can find the answers provided by each event registrant in two different ways: by email and in-app CSV report.
For every successful event registration, booking request or ticket purchase, Calendar Administrators receive an email notification confirming the new booking. Each customer's answers to the event booking questionnaire will show on the body of that email.
Calendar Administrators can also find answers to their customized event booking form by downloading a CSV report from their Timely event management software dashboard.
To do so, just follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your Timely account.
- On the main menu on the left, click on Ticketing / RSVP, then select either Tickets for paid events or RSVP for free events and RSVP booking requests.
- Use the filters to find the event you want to retrieve the answers provided by your event registrants. You can filter by registration date, event start date, event title, attendee's name, order ID and RSVP status.
- Select one or more registrations using the checkboxes on the left side of the screen.
- Then, click on Export selected rsvp dropdown menu, and select Export to CSV.
A CSV file containing all the tickets and RSVPs information will be downloaded immediately to your device. You can open the file and find each registrant's answers to your custom questions there. You can review individual answers or use other tools to analyze them in bulk.
For more user guidance, please go to our Help Center. If you have any questions or need additional assistance, do not hesitate to contact us. Alternatively, you can open a support ticket from your Timely account’s dashboard.